There are still about a half-dozen native, old-time families left in Lindsay, a town first settled by Irishmen. Five Connelly brothers emigrated to Nebraska from Ontario, Canada, and named the town after their hometown there.
The Lindsay post office was established December 14, 1874. Mail was delivered by a horse-drawn dray wagon for years before the Chicago & North Western Railway's early morning and evening mail trains ran through town. At the present time, Lindsay is a second class office with one regular and one intermediate rural route with two carriers.
The town of Lindsay was laid out in November, 1886. It grew so quickly that the Platte County Board of Supervisors approved a petition for incorporating Lindsay as a village by March 1888.
Early churches included St.Bernard's Catholic, St. John Nepomucene Catholic, and a Methodist Church. Holy Family Catholic, established in 1895, is the only church in the town proper at this time. The parish has over 300 families, and supports a parochial K-12 school facility with approximately 200 students. A number of other churches serve the residents of the community: St.Ansgars Lutheran, Looking Glass Methodist, Salem Lutheran, and Palestine Baptist.
Marking its peak population in 1920 of nearly 500, Lindsay is still a thriving community of nearly 400. Its trading center has all the essentials for everyday living -- a bank, a grocery/variety store, a grain elevator, gas station, beauty shops, a locker, a feed/produce store, and a blacksmith/welding shop. Other businesses include: insurance, construction, plumbing/heating, a restaurant, a couple of places to gather with friends, and a liquor/sundries store.
The largest business by far is Lindsay Manufacturing Company. This world-wide supplier of automatic irrigation equipment employs approximately 500 people from Lindsay and the surrounding area. In recent years, several new housing developments have given Lindsay a new look.
Town spirit is high in the community, bringing people together for many activities. Baseball and Little League games are well attended at the newly-lighted ball park. The Holy Family Bulldogs play their football games there, too. The park also boasts a tennis court, two picnic shelters, and there is modern playground equipment for children. Across the road from the park is where the fishermen gather. "Preuss' Puddle," a small man-made lake, has been stocked for their enjoyment.
The Lindsay community applauds the fire department and rescue unit personnel, who perform quickly and efficiently in times of need. Other organizations formed for the betterment of the town include the Ladies' Improvement Club, the Community Club, a Legion club and auxiliary, and several 4-H clubs.
In 1988 Lindsay celebrated its centennial with a full year of activities, which included an old-time dance and a style show of by-gone days. A video tape was made of the historical pageant, which included stories of the early settlers, their trials and hardships, the businesses, schools, and churches up to, and including, present times. A history book was compiled, which also included individual family histories -- a true keepsake.
So where is this great little town? Ask anyone! They will say, "Lindsay is right here where its always been. We, who live here, love it."
"Where its always been," is in the far northwest corner of Platte County, on Highway 91, 12 miles west of the junction with Highway 81. Lindsay is a friendly town, worth visiting.
By Irene O'Brien, Columbus, and Bonnie Hagemann, Box 18B, Lindsay, NE 68644.
ADDITIONAL MATERIAL: The Franciscans of Nebraska , Platte County of Nebraska, by Margaret Curry; Past & Present of Plate County Nebraska , by Phillips; "Hardy's Salute," by Irene O'Brien; and the Lindsay Centennial Book , 1988.